Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Your Piece

I can't believe January has (thank the universe) slipped by so quickly and left me with only 1 written blog post.  For those of you who follow and read...my mushy brain apologizes.  I have felt like a crusty bear in hibernation for the last 30 days...and who can blame me with the painful weather that has been bestowed upon us?   I digress. I'm here, I'm alive, and the worst is behind us. Who's ready for Spring-a-ling-a-ling?


I have been inspired by a dear friend to write this post. Natalie (we are same-namers) came in a few days ago with her pal Jen, and perused all of our new lovelies. She picked up a bracelet that I absolutely knew was her style. A beaded wrap bracelet in espresso, that she could effortlessly pull off as a daily piece.


When she picked it up...I instantly said "That's so you!".  I should point out that although my job is to sell the items in my shop, I never do it with lines like "That's so you", or any other line for that matter...I'm less of a line girl and much more of a "if you're feelin' it, you should totally get it and make yourself happy" kinda girl.  When she decided to make that baby hers, I mentioned a new book, which absolutely absorbed me on my last visit to Indigo. As one of two comfy chairs and myself became one, I licked my lips with each new page of "You Know You Want it: Style-Inspiration-Confidence" by Eric Daman.


Daman is the costume stylist for the television show Gossip Girl, and although the show's premise is less than interesting to me, the outfits keep me watching when I "accidentally" stumble upon it.


 In the book, Daman discusses the idea of having "your piece". One of his simple fashion rules is that every girl (and guy, for that matter) needs a piece to call their own. A Carrie necklace, Audrey pearls or a Natalie wrap bracelet. Your piece is your piece...and although it won't define who you are, something unique may symbolize your personality...and I adore the idea. Daman's piece? Meaningful charms that hang on gold and silver chains around his neck. My piece? I seem to wear this little gal quite often...

  A piece created and customized by my good friend Dawn from iWEAR.





What's your piece?


xoxo
With Heart,
Natalie

3 comments:

  1. I could really care less who Serena will be sleeping with next, but oh my goodness, the clothing! The jewelry! The accessories and most times the music! It brings me back for more and more. I will definetely have to check out the book you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It also just occured to me that I didn't share what my piece was. Then I further realized that I don't really have one. But I am known for my scarves! Perhaps once I read the book it will inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat, This post is so generous. I have been wearing the beaded wrap bracelet every day since purchase. In this cold weather, I've managed to conceal the fabulous piece among many layers necessary. However, today, in a small moment where sleeves were rolled up, people took notice. Naturally, I sung the I Heart Accessory praises. One individual was fooled by the newness of the piece. They only thought it new to them; not "the made for each" factor you conveyed my new one-piece and I share.

    I think that's a big part of the one-piece. The "That's so you!" component. The natural, inherent fit. The thing that can be so enmeshed as being part of the individual wearing it.

    I'm sure we'll be buddies for a long time, my bracelet and I. Until the leather is worn, the beading turns matte. Then it will still be a one-piece of another kind.

    Love the post. Love shopping at I Heart. I have exponentially found my best outward (and inward!) self over and over again with all the wonderful items in shop. Piece by piece, one-pieces at a time!

    With much gratitude to your insight and heart, the other Natalie

    ReplyDelete