Saturday, June 26, 2010

Hat Hang-Ups

"I don't look right in hats". I hear this comment a lot. "Not true!" I exclaim...and then I instantly begin to feel like I'm being too pushy.  I guess I just never realized how many women had hang-ups with hats until I opened I Heart Accessories.  I agree, something is on your head. However, it's not a bowl of fruit. Hear me.



I bought my boyfriend Jeremy a hat a couple months ago. It was a grey newsboy cap, one that I thought would look fabulous on him. And it did. And he wore it. He wore it to go to the grocery store for milk, and I *think* on the way to a shoot at 6 a.m. one morning.  Both times, knowing he would not be seen by the Style Police. This is a guy who will wear fake glasses to achieve the geek-chic look and Sadler Shoes when Vince Vaughan did in Swingers. This is not a guy who's afraid of wearing accessories - or Props, as I like to call them for my performer of a partner.  "Why do you never wear your hat?" I asked one day.  "I don't think I look right in it" was his answer. "Don't get me wrong, I love the hat, I just think I look weird in them."

I guess I have a hat bias. I tend to purchase one everywhere I go, and keep a nice selection in the shop.  A few summers ago, I purchased a checkered cadet from Miss Swiss in Montreal, and last year I picked up a Men's fedora from a sale table at The Bay. This year I tend to sport my own collection.  I've always been a hat person - I just love them, and find so many uses for them. Bad hair day coverage, rain/sun protection, disguise, style...whatever the case may be, I enjoy having things on my head.  This isn't the case for a LOT of women, and I just can't help but feel like so many of us are letting our lives pass us by without having hats for friends, just because we put the words "silly" and "hat" together when we try one on.  I'm sure if I owned a store in the U.K., this wouldn't be a blog topic. It would more likely be about all the fabulosity that was worn on heads at the Royal Ascot Horse Races.


I mean, isn't the U.K. known for it's more reserved style? And they're topping North Americans in the hat department?  Of course, when we go there, we can get away with it. Much like Sarah Jessica Parker at her Sex and the City premiere in London.

Pieces like the ones above would be a great addition to the I Heart Accessories collections...Nes't pas?

While we haven't gone so far as to carry fairy gardens for the head, we do have some pretty sweet styles that I have taken a liking to, and think all women should have at least one of.  Here are my top 5 choices for Summer - who knows? maybe you'll give them a try the next time you see them sitting on a shelf?

#1 - The Cadet Hat

Safe and sporty, this hat is the perfect casual accessory. I like to tie my hair in a low side pony tail and wear this with jeans and a tee.  These particular ones stretch with a sewn in elastic band for extra comfort.


#2 - The Fedora

Chic yet casual, this seasons fedoras are just my fave. The straw makes it more casual, and gives you the option to wear it from the city to the beach.  We also have some with rainbow ribbons that have been faves of our teenage customers.

 #3 - The Beach Hat



Floppy and flirty, this is a must-have for any sun goddess. Do yourself a favor and save your face the unnecessary skin damage...also, look cute while doing it.

#4 - The Sun Hat

These aren't just for old ladies anymore. A cute sun hat is the perfect addition to a sun dress, a pair of sandals and a laid back hobo bag. This is your going-to-the-fruit-market-hat.

#5 - The Headpiece


Ok, not really a hat. BUT, a really nice alternative to the British styles above.  Fascinators have been the most popular head-wear this season. From feathers, to flowers and for party-goers to brides, these pieces make the most out of a simple do.

I've given you a lot to think about here. To hat, or not to hat. Or maybe not. In any case...I urge you to step outside of the box and into a stylish accessory to top off your look. You'll be happy you did.

All the styles above can be found in the I Heart Accessories Boutique and E-Boutique.

XOXO
With Heart

Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment